Ethics Resources and Professional Literature
Ethics 8 Series
The Ethics 8 Series offers 8 useful tips related to prevailing topics in social work practice. These tip sheets serve as a starting point in uncovering ethical considerations in a given topic area, and direct users to additional resources related to the topic area.
Ethical Standard of the Month
The Office of Ethics and Professional Review profiles an ethical standard of the month every other month. This is an opportunity to examine specific standards from the NASW Code of Ethics, and related resources that promote the understanding and appropriate application of the Code.
- NASW Code of Ethics â€“ 6.02 Public Participation
- NASW Code of Ethics â€“ 2.01 Respect
- NASW Code of Ethics - 6.04 Social and Political Action
- NASW Code of Ethics - 1.01 Commitment to Clients
Ethical Decision Making Framework â€“ DECISIONS Approach
By Dawn Hobdy, MSW
- Determine the facts.
- Ethical considerations? If so, what ethical standards apply?
- Consider the impact of values. Determine the personal and moral values involved.
- Impact of Self (Consider how the combination of professional knowledge and values and aspects of oneâ€™s personality, belief systems and life experiences are impacting the decision)
- Stakeholders, who are they?
- Incorporate professional literature review.
- Other considerations: standards of practice, agency policies, regulatory and/or legal considerations, consultation.
- Narration of your decision: be prepared to articulate your decision. Do some critical thinking and be confident.
- Secure and support your decision thorough excellent documentation and evaluation of the outcome of the decision.
Literature in Ethics
- Ethical Standards in Social Work: A Review of the NASW Code of Ethics, 2nd Edition
- 20th Encyclopedia of Social Work
- The Social Work Dictionary 6th edition
- NASW Code of Ethics- available in English and Spanish
- The Social Work Ethics Casebook
- Current Controversies in Social Work Ethics
- Ethics And Values In Social Work: An Integrated Approach For A Comprehensive Curriculum by Allen Edward Barsky - Oxford University Press
- Straight Talk about Professional Ethics by Kim Strom-Gottfried â€“ Lyceum Books, Inc.
Licensing and the NASW Code of Ethics
- The NASW Code of Ethics and State Licensing Laws (NASW LDF Legal Issue of the Month, June 2007)
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB): http://www.aswb.org