NASW Office of Ethics and Professional Review
OFFICE OF ETHICS AND PROFESSIONAL REVIEW (OEPR)
The Office of Ethics and Professional Review provides ethics and professional review education and training, administers the professional review process, offers ethics consultation to members, and provides information about members who have been sanctioned through the NASW professional review process. The OEPR is part of the NASW national office. The staff coordinates with and provides administrative support for the national ethics committee and chapter ethics committees.
National Ethics Committee
The National Ethics Committee (NEC) is responsible for educating NASW membership and the larger professional community about standards of ethical professional practice. The committee along with OEPR staff, oversees chapter professional review activity, develops policy and procedure for professional review, offers interpretations of procedures, and provides technical assistance and training. The committee hears complaints that are designated as national cases against members who are alleged to have violated the Code of Ethics and is authorized to conduct adjudications and mediations with NASW members. The NEC hears appeals of chapter cases and oversees the development of ethics education training and programs. The NEC is composed of volunteer NASW social work members from across the United States.
Chapter Ethics Committee
The Chapter Ethics Committee (CEC) processes complaints of alleged violations of the NASW Code of Ethics, by chapter members. It is responsible for providing education and training to NASW members in coordination with the NEC and OEPR. The CEC is composed of volunteer NASW members from across the relevant state.
Quick OEPR Links and Resources
- Copy of the NASW Code of Ethics (current) - http://socialworkers.org/pubs/code/code.asp
- Requests for Multiple Copies of the NASW Code of Ethics - http://www.naswpress.org/publications/standards/code.html
- Ethics Seminars and Workshops - http://socialworkers.org/nasw/ethics/training.asp
- Ethical Questions/Dilemmas - http://socialworkers.org/nasw/ethics/consultation.asp
- How to File a Complaint - http://socialworkers.org/nasw/ethics/rpr.asp
- Public Sanction - http://socialworkers.org/assets/public/documents/resources/profession/
- Social Work Licensure Questions - http://aswb.org
- NASW Certificates or Credentials - http://socialworkers.org/credentials/
- Liability Insurance through NASW - http://www.naswassurance.org