Military Service Members, Veterans & Their Families – Clinical Social Worker (MVF-CSW)
WE ARE NOT ACCEPTING NEW APPLICATIONS FOR THIS SPECIALTY CERTIFICATION AT THIS TIME. CURRENT CREDENTIAL HOLDERS CAN STILL RENEW THEIR CREDENTIALS BY DOWNLOADING AND SUBMITTING THE RENEWAL FORM.
Download the Specialty Certification Renewal Form
A clinical social worker working with Service Members, Veterans, and Their Families provides a professional continuum of services that address the myriad needs of this population in order to maintain or improve optimal quality of life. Social work activities are focused on, but are not limited to assessing and enhancing the strengths of Service Members, Veterans, and their families through direct clinical mental, behavioral, and health services. Services may be provided to Service Members and Veterans in all branches and from all eras and conflicts and to their family members.
A core function of the MVF-CSW holder is to apply theories of human development within a psychosocial-spiritual context to treat and prevent psychosocial dysfunction, disability, or impairment, including emotional and mental disorders. MVF-CSW holders utilize their skills in assessment, diagnosis, treatment (including psychotherapy and counseling), client-centered advocacy, consultation, and evaluation in their work with Service Members, Veterans, and their families.
What are the basic eligibility requirements?
- A master’s degree in social work from an accredited college or university or a doctorate degree in social work
- A current and unrestricted license to practice social work
- Documentation of at least three (3) years of supervised social work experience with Service Members, Veterans, and their families
- Evidence of a minimum of thirty (30) hours of continuing education, twenty (20) of which must be directly relevant to diagnosis and treatment of Service Members, Veterans, and their families.
- Affirm commitment to the following:
- The NASW Code of Ethics
- NASW Standards for Social Work Practice with Service Members, Veterans, and Their Families
- NASW Standards for Continuing Professional Education
Please read and review the complete criteria
in the application.