Certified Hospice & Palliative Social Worker (CHP-SW)
Social Work Excellence within Hospice and Palliative Care Settings
Download the CHP-SW Application
Who seeks this credential?
bachelor’s level social worker in hospice and palliative care can be defined as the discipline that provides a professional continuum of services that address the psychosocial needs of patients and families affected by serious and life limiting illness in order to maintain, or improve, their optimal quality of life. Social work activities are focused on the bio-psychosocial components of health and mental health from a strengths-based perspective, and intervention is based on an evolving plan of care that developed in the context of, and contributes to the interdisciplinary team’s comprehensive plan of care.
What does this credential represent?
The NASW Specialty Certification program was launched in 2000 in response to growing workforce trends and societal needs requiring specialization and to help Association members attain: enhanced professional and public recognition; increase visibility as specialized social workers; and Association with a select group of specialized social workers who have attained
national recognition. The CHP-SW was added in 2009 with the support of the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO) as the, BSW level, premier national credential in hospice and palliative care tailored to capture the specialized knowledge, skills, and abilities of professional social workers in hospice and palliative care settings.
What are the basic eligibility requirements?
- A bachelor’s degree in social work from a graduate program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education
- Twenty (20) or more CEUs related specifically to hospice and palliative care.
- Documentation of at least three (3) years of supervised social work experience in hospice and palliative care.
- Current state license to practice as a professional social worker.
- Adherence to the NASW Code of Ethics and NASW Standards for End of Life Care.
Please read and review the complete criteria
in the application.