Military Service Members, Veterans & Their Families – Advanced Social Worker (MVF-ASW)
A master’s level social worker working with Service Members, Veterans, and Their Families provides a professional continuum of services that address the myriad needs of this population in order to maintain or improve optimal quality of life. Social work activities are focused on, but are not limited to, mental, behavioral, and other health services, social supports, case management, rehabilitative care coordination, administration, and advocacy. Services are provided at the micro, mezzo, and macro levels in a wide range of public and private settings – community-based, school, government, health, and mental health organizations. Services may be provided to Service Members and Veterans in all branches and from all eras and conflicts and to their family members.
A core function of the MVF-ASW holder is to advocate for legislative, regulatory, and organizational policies and procedures that ensure access to quality care for all Service Members, Veterans, and Their Families by informing and educating stakeholders on military culture and the role of social workers in addressing existing and potential challenges and stigma often confronted by this population.
What are the basic eligibility requirements?
- A master’s degree in social work from an accredited college or university or a doctorate degree in social work
- A current and unrestricted license to practice social work
- Documentation of at least two (2) years of supervised social work experience with Service Members, Veterans, and their families
- Evidence of a minimum of twenty (20) hours of continuing education, ten (10) of which must be directly relevant to assessment and intervention with Service Members, Veterans, and their families.
- Affirm commitment to the following:
- The NASW Code of Ethics
- NASW Standards for Social Work Practice with Service Members, Veterans, and Their Families
- NASW Standards for Continuing Professional Education
Please read and review the complete criteria in the application.