woman in glasses reads a newspaper

News and Events


Professional Development

Upcoming Specialty Practice Sections Webinars


Ethics in Private Practice: Pitfalls and Possibilities

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 (1 – 2:30 pm ET)

Presenter: Allan Barsky, JD, MSW, PhD and Andrea Murray, LICSW

CE Category: 1.5 Ethics contact hour

When social workers engage in private practice, they may be faced with challenging ethical issues in relation to maintaining professional boundaries, serving clients with special needs, and avoiding breaks in continuity of service. This webinar will explore ways in which social workers can pre-empt and respond to ethical challenges in private practice, including working in small communities, managing dual relationships, offering reduced fees, negotiating part-time private practice with agency-based work, and preparing for contingencies such as illness, impairment, and death of a social worker (including the use of professional wills).

Registration is limited on a first come basis.


2019 Intersections in Practice: "The Need for Equity in the Fight for Equality"

The annual bulletin for Specialty Practice Sections (SPS) members is now available. This edition of the InterSections in Practice annual bulletin is comprised of articles addressing inclusion and equity. Earn 1.5 Social Work CEUs.


Back to School with Social Workers Campaign

Back to School with Social Workers logo

This year, as children head back to school, NASW and the School Social Work Association of America (SSWAA) and the NASW School Social Work Specialty Practice Section have prepared an online media toolkit to educate the public and media about the importance of school social workers. There are instructions on how to use the toolkit, which includes draft letters to school administrators and superintendents urging them to hire social workers; resources for families and school social workers; sample social media posts, images, a Facebook frame, merchandise and more.

Join the Conversation!

Have you visited MyNASW yet? Choose My Communities to connect and network with those in your Section’s practice area online community.

Public Webinar Report Release: Integrating Social Care into the Delivery of Health Care: Moving Upstream to Improve the Nation's Health

NASW is a sponsor of a National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine Consensus Study, Integrating Social Care into the Delivery of Health Care: Moving Upstream to Improve the Nation's Health.

This study is a very important opportunity to promote and elevate the social work profession, and ensure that our nation’s health systems not only provide medical care, but attend to the many non-medical factors that contribute to health: transportation, housing, food insecurity, social supports, employment, and more.

Medical care contributes approximately 20% to health outcomes; many other factors, or "social determinants," contribute to the other 80%. Attending to these social determinants is what social workers have been doing for decades, resulting in improved health outcomes for millions of people. Social workers bring expertise in supporting individuals with complex medical and social needs to health care teams.

The study has been funded by a broad coalition of philanthropic foundations, social work organizations, and over 60 social work academic programs. Three social work experts serve on the Study Committee.

The webinar will provide an overview of the report, with discussion of the report’s findings, recommendations, and key messages.

NASW is working in partnership with study sponsors and others to coordinate convenings and conference presentations at events around the country over the next year. We hope to see many of you at these events!

This consensus study will have many implications for social work practice, health care service delivery, workforce, research and more. We look forward to working with you to ensure that the findings and recommendations help shape the future of the profession and society in positive ways.

For more information, please contact Carrie Dorn at cdorn.nasw@socialworkers.org.

An Hour with Private Practice

October 16, 2019

"Ethical Considerations when using Technology in Private Practice"

Presenter: Dawn Hobdy, LICSW

NASW Director of Ethics and Professional Review

Learn how to participate in An Hour with Private Practice - NASW members only


adults in conversation

Join the Conversation 

Visit MyNASW and choose My Communities to connect with peers in your Specialty Practice Section.

Visit MyNASW


members save 10 percent on books - use code MEMB15 - call 800-227-3590 to order
child hand, adult hand, fence, ocean

Child Migrant Protection Toolkit

Learn how NASW and our members are addressing this humanitarian crisis and what you can do to help.

Visit the toolkit