Culminating Meeting Recap
On November 15, the Delegate Assembly convened for its triennial Culminating Meeting to consider two important action items. The Delegate Assembly approved the 2024-2027 Program Priority Goals, which will go into effect on July 1, 2024. The goals are as follows:
- Strengthen NASW as the leading resource for social workers
- Enhance awareness and understanding of the importance of social work
- Leverage NASW for maximum social, racial, economic, and environmental justice impact in society
- Champion efforts to support the social work profession
- Elevate the quality of social work practice
- Explore and evaluate innovative ideas in the field of social work
Delegates also approved an amendment to the NASW Bylaws that will empower the NASW Board of Directors to call an emergency meeting of the Delegate Assembly, setting notification requirements for such actions.
In early 2024, the Delegate Assembly will vote on the following proposed Public Policy Statements:
- Affirmative Action
- Cultural and Linguistic Competence in the Social Work Profession
- Death Penalty
- Electoral Politics
- End of Life Decision Making and Care
- LGBTQIA2S+ Issues
- Social Justice
- Substance Use Disorder Treatment
- Youth Suicide
Thank you to members who lent their expertise to these items during the Delegate Assembly cycle. Member participation is an essential component of this process.
The Delegate Assembly is the representative, decision-making body through which NASW members set broad organizational policy, establish program priorities, and develop a collective stance on public and professional issues.